With that being said, when working out this hard you need to fuel your body properly. Lately, I feel I have been lacking energy, so I decided to up my carb intake. Eating paleo - sometimes we don't get enough carbs, and as an athlete, we need them. So I added some quinoa into my diet. This is a controversial food that could go either way. My advice is that is your working out hard, it's a good addition however is you main goal is weight loss then I would eat this in moderation, if at all. It is gluten free and it's considered a seed but there are some articles that say it isn't paleo due to the fact that it could contains anti nutrients that if consumed in high amounts regularly could link to a "leaky" gut and cause slight inflammation. So use your judgement!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 med sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 head of kale
- 1 med apple
- 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth (1 can)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- As many sausage links as you would like (I used 5)
- Salt n pepper
- In a pot, bring the cup of quinoa and broth to a boil. Once soft, set aside
- In a frying pan, cook your sausage and dump the grease.
- In another frying pan, cover with some evoo and throw in the chopped sweet potatoes, garlic, onions and sauté until slightly soft.
- De-rib the kale as chop up the apple, throw in the mix when the sweet potatos are a bit soft and sauté until the apples get a little soft.
- Once done, mix in with the quinoa and chop up the sausage and mix together, salt and pepper to taste and your breakfast is served!