Today is a rainy, wet, great soup kind of day. We just got home from finishing the 2012 Maine Half Marathon. It was a beautiful course, very well organized, however going into it, we were a bit nervous. Aside from CrossFit, we didn't do a very good job for training. We have been doing quite a bit of rowing at the gym, but its not running. By the grace of god, we completed it in just over 2hrs! We pulled each other along (ok, ok I may have pulled Joe along for about 10 miles ;) As I noted earlier, it was a very WET race. It was sprinkling from the start, but around mile 7, the sky just opened up. I really felt for the marathoners who had about another 3 hours of running. Yuck! So after drying off, Joe suggested making some soup. We LOVE this recipe, and can hardly believe its paleo. It mimics Bertuccis sausage soup, minus the noodles!
Sausage Soup (Click here for a printable version)
- 1lb Spicy Italian Sausage (or whichever
- 2 Cans Beef Broth
- 3 Cans of water
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Carrots, chopped
- 2 Stalks of Celery, chopped
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cups Spinach, cleaned and roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: I also added a jalapeno for some extra spice!
- In your soup pan, add the water beef broth and tomatoes to start the boil.. At this time, also add the sausage. (If your sausage is in casing, remove the meat from the casing.) Use a spoon to further break up the sausage, it will break up with the boiling process but this will help it along.
- Cut up all the veggies and add everything BUT the spinach.
- Simmer for about an hour, or until the carrots and onions are soft.
- Add the Spinach and simmer for about 20 minutes.